January 22, 2021
Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Announces Eight Consecutive Months of Month-Over-Month Job Growth Lowering Unemployment to 6.1 Percent
From May to December, Florida has gained 748,100 private sector jobs
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity announced Florida has had eight consecutive months of month-over-month job growth, gaining 21,100 private sector jobs in the month of December. In comparison, the nation lost 95,000 private sector jobs in the month of December. From May to December, Florida has gained a total of 748,100 private sector jobs. Florida’s unemployment rate for December 2020 decreased to 6.1 percent, below the national average of 6.7 percent.
“Florida’s economy has shown significant progress for the past eight consecutive months and continues to outpace the nation in job growth,” said Dane Eagle, Executive Director of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. “Governor DeSantis remains committed to ensuring Florida’s economic success as he works with our state’s business leaders and community partners to continue bolstering Florida’s workforce.”
Florida Economic Indicators for December 2020 include:
- Unemployment rate is 6.1 percent. (November’s unemployment rate has been revised down to 6.3 percent, from the previously reported rate of 6.4 percent).
- Florida businesses gained 21,100 private-sector jobs over the month.
- Labor force was up 31,000 over the month, bringing the December 2020 total up to 10,143,000.
- Florida’s private sector over the year job rate decline was 4.7 percent in December 2020. This in an improvement from 13.0 percent in April 2020.
- Private-sector industries gaining the most jobs over-the-month were:
- Professional and Business Services with 11,600 new jobs
- Financial Activities with 4,800 new jobs
- Trade, Transportation, and Utilities with 4,800 new jobs
- Construction with 3,200 new jobs
- Consumer Sentiment Index was 82.2 in December 2020, 1.1 points higher than the November revised figure of 81.1
To view the December 2020 jobs reports by region, please see below:
To view the December 2020 employment data visit www.floridajobs.org/labor-market-information/labor-market-information-press-releases/monthly-press-releases. Visit Florida Insight, for more information on labor market and economic data. Additionally, the Department has provided a video to assist users in explaining the data provided through Florida Insight and the new platform.
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity combines the state’s economic, workforce and community development efforts, expediting economic development projects to fuel job creation in competitive communities and promote economic resiliency. For more information, including valuable resources for employers and job seekers, please visit www.FloridaJobs.org.