May 4, 2020
$40 Million in COVID-19 Funding Available to Minority, Rural and Socially Vulnerable Communities for Linkages to Services, Information and Education (HERE)
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Minority Health (OMH) announced a competitive funding opportunity to invest up to $40 million for the development and coordination of a strategic network of national, state, territorial, tribal and local organizations to deliver important COVID-19-related information to racial and ethnic minority, rural and socially vulnerable communities hardest hit by the pandemic.
HHS Awards $20 Million to Combat COVID-19 Pandemic through Telehealth (HERE)
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded $20 million to increase telehealth access and infrastructure for providers and families to help prevent and respond to COVID-19.
Nearly $1.4 Billion in Additional CARES Act Relief Funds to HBCUs, Minority Serving Institutions, and Colleges and Universities Serving Low-Income Students (HERE)
- The U.S. Department of Education announced nearly $1.4 billion in additional CARES Act funds that will be directed to HBCUs and MSIs to support students with cash grants and ensure learning continues for all during the COVID-19 pandemic.
HUD Allocates Second Wave of Relief Funds, Over Half a Billion Dollars to Help Protect Low-Income Americans (HERE)
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson today announced his Department will allocate $685 million in COVID-19 relief funding to help low-income Americans residing in public housing. The funding, made available by the CARES Act legislation President Trump signed into law on March 27, 2020, will be awarded to Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) across the Nation.
Economic Impact Payments Continue to be Sent, Check IRS.gov for Answers to Common Questions (HERE)
- As Economic Impact Payments continue to be successfully delivered, the Internal Revenue Service today reminds taxpayers that IRS.gov includes answers to many common questions, including help to use two recently launched Economic Impact Payment tools.
CDC COVID-19 Forecasts (HERE)
- The federal government is working closely with state, tribal, local, and territorial health departments, and other public health partners, to respond to this situation. Forecasts of deaths will help inform public health decision-making by projecting the likely impact in coming weeks.
DHS and HHS Civil Rights Stakeholder Teleconference RE: COVID-19 (HERE)
- FEMA’s Office of Equal Rights will continue hosting regular teleconferences concerning the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) response, to share information and to respond to civil rights-related concerns and questions. The next call is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 2:00-3:30PM (Eastern). Please call in 10 minutes prior to the start time.
For the most up-to-date information, please see the below fact sheet and the CDC’s website: www.coronavirus.gov.
Nicole A. Frazier, Special Assistant to the President
Director of Strategic Partnerships & African American Outreach
The White House